Traditional dental veneers require the alteration of healthy tooth enamel, a fact that makes some patients reluctant to transform their smiles. But with no prep or minimal prep porcelain veneers in Virginia Beach, your cosmetic dentist can often apply the veneers without removing any of your natural tooth. When enamel modification is necessary, it is minimal and does not affect the dentin. These ultra-thin veneers dramatically improve the size, shape, color, and overall appearance of the teeth that show when you smile.
It’s always best to leave healthy tooth enamel intact, but traditional dental veneers are thick enough that space must be made for them in the smile. Without taking off some tooth enamel, the traditional veneers would make the teeth appear puffy or bulky in the smile. While it is typically a tiny amount of enamel that’s ground down, you will always need something covering up your tooth once it has been prepared for traditional veneers. They are considered an irreversible treatment.
No prep, or minimal prep veneers, by contrast, rarely require modification of the tooth enamel. That means they are usually reversible in the rare event that patients wish to return to their natural teeth. Minimal prep veneers are thinner than traditional porcelain veneers, so they can usually be applied directly onto the surface of the tooth without modifying its enamel at all.
The benefits of prepless veneers are significant. They include:
- Dental veneers cover up any number of dental imperfections. Chips, cracks, stains, discoloration, and oddly shaped teeth are all erased with veneers.
- Porcelain closely mimics the appearance of your natural teeth because it reflects light just like tooth enamel.
- Because it does not absorb stains like the natural teeth, dental porcelain stays the same shade of white for years after the veneer application.
- Unlike with traditional veneers, you can always decide to return to your natural smile if you wish if the tooth enamel has not been altered.
- When cared for properly and protected from trauma and pressure, dental veneers can last for a decade or more.
Most people who wish to dramatically improve the appearance of the teeth that show when they smile are good candidates for dental veneers. No prep and minimal prep veneers are not right for everyone, though.
People who have significantly crowded or gapped teeth will need to consider undergoing treatment with traditional orthodontics. In some cases, porcelain veneers can eliminate the need for braces -- but when severe misalignments are present, braces are still the best answer.
Teeth that are spaced properly and have an aesthetically pleasing shape require little or no modification. But for teeth that are oddly spaced or textured, modification of the tooth enamel may still be the best choice.
Dr. Morgan can help you understand which option in dental veneers in Virginia Beach is best for you, and why. Schedule an appointment at Hampton Roads Center for Cosmetic Dentistry today!