If you are looking to brighten up your smile, the good news is that you have several different options. However, when you’re along this journey for a whiten smile, it’s important to do it the right way in order to prevent wasting your time or damaging your teeth. Continue reading to learn which common tooth whitening mistakes you should avoid as well as what your options are for professional teeth whitening in Virginia Beach.
What Tooth Whitening Mistakes Should I Avoid?
- Not cleaning your teeth first: If you want to make your teeth whiter, they need to be clean! With food debris, plaque, and bacteria on the surface of your enamel, the whitening agent won’t be able to reach your enamel in all areas. Remember to brush, floss, and even consider getting a professional cleaning before your whitening treatment.
- Purchasing a cheap whitening kit: Everyone loves to save money, but when your smile is at stake, budget whitening kits aren’t the best option. They have a “one size fits all” approach which should never be the case with your teeth. Everyone’s smile is unique. Without a custom fit tray, it is much easier to accidently swallow or spill the whitening agent. It could also be making unnecessary contact with your gums, causing irritation and damage to your soft tissue.
- Not checking with your dentist beforehand: Even though it seems much easier to whiten your teeth on your own, if you have preexisting oral health issues that you are unaware of, you could run into problems. The whitening agent would seep into cracks or cavities and cause it a great deal of pain as well as worsening issues. You should have any oral health problems addressed by your dentist before having a whitening treatment done.
How Should I Whiten My Teeth?
The fastest, safest, and most effective way to whiten your teeth is through professional teeth whitening. When you choose a professional whitening treatment, you still have several different options to pick from. Here’s what’s available:
- In-Office Zoom! Whitening: This is the most popular and fastest teeth whitening option. The process consists of your dentist coving your lips, gums, and other soft tissues in your mouth to keep them protected. Next, they will apply the whitening gel to your teeth and activate it with three, 15-minute applications of a special light. Your teeth can be made up to ten shades whiter in a single visit!
- Take-Home Whitening Kits: This method allows you to whiten your teeth at a more gradual pace in the comfort of your own home. Your dentist will take impressions of your teeth and create a custom-fit tray just for you. You will be given the whitening gel and instructions for the most effective results. You will notice a difference in a matter of weeks.
- Zoom! Whitening Pen: This is a great option for maintaining your whitening results after a professional treatment. This is a handheld pen that is portable. All you need to do is brush the gel onto your teeth and refrain from eating or drinking for thirty minutes.
If you want to brighten up your smile, contact your dentist in Virginia Beach for a safer route. You can have whiter teeth in as little as an hour!
About the Author
Dr. Carol F. Morgan is a cosmetic dentist serving patients in Virginia Beach. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) School of Dentistry and has gained over two decades of experience. She is a member of numerous professional organizations including the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry and the American Dental Association. Dr. Morgan offers teeth whitening as one of her treatments. For more information or to schedule an appointment, visit her website or call (757) 412-1400.